Labels

Beginning violin at the age of 18

Now I'm 18 years old, barely signed up for beginner violin lessons. Let's just say I got inspired by a certain anime (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso). This inspiration aligned with the enrollment dates of the College of Music Extension Program in UP, so I went ahead and signed myself up a couple days ago, even without possession of a violin.

I might be hopeless at music but I'm not too terribly inexperienced with it. I'm no band kid, but I've done a bit of piano (self-taught) and carry some sort of guitar skill set. Only recently have I learned how to read sheet music, and I've been continuously studying how to for the past few weeks now, but I wouldn't say I'm good at it yet. Also, I've done some violin lessons for one summer vacation before starting junior year, but as soon as school started I stopped practicing entirely. I still hold some muscle memory, as I surprisingly discovered when I bought a violin today, but I might as well claim that I have no experience when I actually start lessons on Tuesday (it's Sunday right now).

Bachendorff
It's actually not mine, but the one I'm going to use for lessons and practice. My elder sister technically owns it and she's planning to just take lessons from me or something along those lines. The violin I own is currently in the States in deep storage somewhere where it's too much of a hassle to get out and send over here to the Philippines.

We've not named it yet, and we were intending to name it something stupid like "Xannoying" because my elder sister was getting annoyed at how we couldn't play the violin and yes, the X is silent.

The muscle memory I possessed from that one summer in 2014 surprised me as I picked it up at the shop and ahem "played." I then spent the night trying to remember the old simple pieces I learned back then as well as just mainly playing around with the instrument. Playing vibrato is about the most advanced skill I know so far, and uh, it's sorta satisfying but I really am just looking forward to being able to play Beethoven's Kreutzer or Saint Saens Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso. This is my first steps to violin and I do hope I get better and better. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment